Showing posts with label Covid19. Show all posts
Showing posts with label Covid19. Show all posts

Tuesday, April 12, 2022

Covid relief fraud lands Texas Nigerian in Jail

Lola Shalewa Barbara Kasali, 24, of Houston, submitted two fraudulent loan applications to two different lenders on behalf of her companies, Lola’s Level and Charm Hair Extensions. Through these loan applications, Kasali sought over $3.8 million in PPP loan funds. Kasali falsely represented the number of employees and payroll expenses in each of the PPP loan applications. 



To support these applications, Kasali also submitted fraudulent tax records. Kasali ultimately received over $1.9 million in PPP loan funds. The Justice Department, along with its law enforcement partners, seized the funds that Kasali fraudulently obtained.



Kasali was convicted of two counts of making false statements to a financial institution and two counts of bank fraud. She is scheduled to be sentenced on Feb. 25, 2022, and faces a maximum penalty of 30 years in prison for each count of conviction. A federal district court judge will determine any sentence after considering the U.S. Sentencing Guidelines and other statutory factors.

READ MORE HERE

source: justice.gov

Thursday, April 1, 2021

Six refugees among 137 killed in Niger’s recent attack

 

UNHCR has confirmed that six Malian refugees were among 137 people killed on 21 March in Niger’s western region of Tahoua, near the town of Tillia. Most of the victims in this deadly attack by unidentified armed groups were internally displaced people who had already fled horrendous violence, some of them during 2020.



The attacks on displaced people and the communities generously hosting them, were targeted and deliberate. In addition to the unjustifiable violence meted out against civilians, shelters and granaries were also burned to the ground and cattle stolen or killed. Survivors have nothing left. An estimated 1,400 people from these villages are now on the move, trying to escape from the violence.

UNHCR, the UN Refugee Agency and partners continue to gather information from survivors, many of whom have been left in shock and mourning. Our teams and partners are monitoring the situation and providing humanitarian aid and counselling to survivors.

We reiterate our call for greater protection of civilians and displaced communities. We also call on the international community to seize the sense of urgency and continue supporting regional efforts to address the root causes of this crisis and help us respond to humanitarian needs arising from forced displacement.

Distributed by APO Group on behalf of United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR).

Thursday, November 26, 2020

Nigeria in Recession

Nigeria, Africa’s biggest economy is in recession for the first time since 2016. The recession four years ago was its first in a generation, and the country emerged from it the following year. The continent’s top oil producer and exporter relies on crude sales for 90 percent of foreign exchange earnings.

Nigeria normally accounts for an average output of two million barrels per day. But the effects of the pandemic and low oil prices have cut production to approximately 1.4 million barrels.

President Buhari


“Q3 2020 Real GDP contracted for second consecutive quarter by -3.62 percent,” Yemi Kale, the statistician general, said on Twitter on Saturday.

READ MORE

Thursday, November 5, 2020

COVID19: China bars Nigeria, U.K, other nationals

Nigerians and other nationals (United Kingdom, Belgium, Luxembourg, Philippines, among others) have been suspended from entering China. The Embassy of China and Consulate in Nigeria announced this in a public notice on Thursday, adding that it will no longer issue certified health declaration form for non-Chinese nationals in the country.

The notice stated that the suspension was due to an evaluation of COVID-19 pandemic in the said countries. The statement, entitled ‘Notice of temporary suspension of entry into China by non-Chinese nationals in Nigeria holding valid Chinese visas or residence permits,’ added that; 

“Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, China has decided to temporarily suspend entry into China by non-Chinese nationals in Nigeria holding visas or residence permits still valid at the time of this announcement.” 

President Xi Jinping


It added that the Chinese Embassy and Consulate in Nigeria will no longer issue a certified health declaration form for Nigerians.

However, holders of diplomatic passports, courtesy or C-visas would not be affected by the regulation.

Source: vanguard

Friday, October 2, 2020

Trump tests positive for covid 19

President Trump announced early Friday October 1, 2020 that both he and first lady Melania Trump tested positive for COVID-19 and will quarantine at the White House, sending shockwaves through the political universe and igniting an outpouring of support for the first family.



source: white house