Saturday, August 20, 2016

Ooni impacts lives of Widows

The communal war between the Ife and Modakeke people of Osun State, Nigeria left an indelible mark on the community. Most hit were Women who lost their husbands during the conflict thereby destabilizing the ability for family sustenance. To alleviate the problems and empower the widows, the Ooni of Ife His Imperial Majesty Ooni Adeyeye Enitan Ogunwusi (Ojaja II) hasflagged off five licensed Cooperative societies as part of his Widows Empowerment Program initiated early this year.

The Monarch has deposited a sum of N2.5 million in Olofin Microfinance Bank, Ile-Ife as a take-off grant to enable widows have access to loans to fund their businesses. The monarch said he would also distribute between 50 to 100 bags of rice and some cows to the widows every month as part of his plans to banish hunger among the widows.


“The thought of empowering the widows struck me when I ascended the throne. Some widows came to me and present some gifts. Their kindness, in spite of their poor economic state touched me. I was surprised that they could still think of honouring me. When I informed my chiefs and some elders about my plan, they screamed and said to me that the widows were many but I made them understand that God is always in control.”  Ooni Said.

by Tosan Aduayi for Trendy Africa

No comments: